How to become a great guitarist?
I sometimes hear this very general question…the very general answer is to practice, but there is more than that…
1. Be passionate about guitar AND music from all styles, your level of passion will determine your level of commitment in the instrument. At first you may think this is something you can’t develop, but you can…
2. Don’t believe in things such as natural gift or talent, as you will automatically assume that you don’t have any, everyone has some, and the rest is hard work. Talented guitar players practiced hard.
3. Practice every day, with a clear practice plan in order to reach challenging, but manageable goals. Diversify your practice time, you have to have several items/techniques/songs to work on.
4. Practice even more, push the limits, get rid of excuses, make the time for it, think about all the time you’re wasting doing stuff like watching commercials on TV, for example…
5. Jaming or playing with what you know, is always good, and you need to do that, but it’s not pure practice.
6. Work out simple songs by ear instead of looking for internet assistance all the time, you will see you will become a real musician!
7. Play with others, and learn from others, all the time!! Music is a community.
8. Perseverance and patience! If one day you can’t get that riff, you’ll get the next day!
9. Go and see gigs, particularly the local ones, that’ll give you inspiration.
10. If you need help, go and find a good teacher, don’t wait till you become frustrated even more.